GA

Tuesday 21 September 2010

Nothing to do with Jewellery! Lloret de Mar - Spain!



Just got back after my first holiday abroad for simply ages, and our first week away since we met!

When I was 17 my parents went on their first holiday to Spain. To me it sounded just dreadful, so cheesy and touristy and just everything I thought was awful. I spent the next 30 odd years travelling independently to some very exotic and pretty far flung places. I've been lucky enough to see, live and work in a lot of Europe, Asia and West Africa.

Always when anyone mentionned a holiday to the Costas I got a shiver of distaste down my spine. So time moves on, purse strings tighten, and my lovely man managed to bag us a week in Spain in my idea of hell for under £300. (not easy!)

Oh my god! It was one of the best holidays I've had. I don't know that I have ever felt more relaxed and talk about life being easy. I don't speak Spanish, but was able to be understood everywhere, sat by a lovely pool for a lot of the time, a smashing beach was just down the road. The hotel served up great food from all different countries. Dreadful tourist tat was available if I wanted (and that is always available). I didn't have to have any jabs, I didn't have to avoid nasty insects, take pills, search for edible food, understand local customs so as not to offend, sit horrendously cramped on ghastly local transport with a goat peeing on my head (yes that has happened) or sit on a bus for 18 hours with a pain which I finally realised was a nail protruding into my back (yes that also happened). All in all it was just bloody marvellous. So, I've been from Blackpool to Bali to Burkina Faso, Thailand, to Tenerife to Togo, and I have to say, all in all, Lloret de Mar - you are great!

(Now back to the land of Jewellery!!

No comments: