GA

Friday 5 March 2010

Inspired by the Scilly Isles




A few months back I went to the Scilly Isles in England to a friend's wedding. Now the Scilly Isles weren't a place I had ever wanted to visit, and the journey wasn't the easiest. We had to leave at midnight to make our way down the south coast to Penzance in order to catch the morning ferry over to the islands. Once there we had to get another boat over to Saint Martins and eventually arrived early afternoon. Oh my God! I have been lucky enough to travel quite a bit in my life but I was completely surprised by how absolutely beautiful the place was. It's about 4 hours by ferry so in many ways very cut off from the mainland, and has a spirit all of it's own. There are only about 100 inhabitants, and they near enough all know each other. That's beyond my comprehension to know everyone who lives near me let alone in my country! What staggered me though was the beauty, the sheer unadulterated beauty. While I can't say I have a desire to live there I came away feeling quite sad that I would never have the possibility to understand what that kind of life felt like.

A lot of my jewellery is made just because I think the bits look pretty together but some of the pieces come about because they remind me of places I have been. The pictures here show the scene from the reception and the bracelet that I made that reminds me of the colours that, while look enhanced, were totally true.

No comments: